• Area: 23.8 thousand square kilometers. km.
• Population: 1354.5 thousand
• Regional center: Summu
• Major Cities: Konotop,Romney; Glukhov; Shostka; Trostyanets; Lebedin; .
• Geographical location and area neighbors: Area is located in the north-east of Ukraine. The length of the field from east to west is 180 km from north to south - 300 km. In the north and north-east it borders on Bryansk, Kursk and Belgorod region of Russia to the east - from Kharkov, in the south - from Poltava, in the west - from the Chernigov region of Ukraine. The share borders with Russia in the Sumy region of the highest compared with other regions of Ukraine.
• The number of districts and regional centers: the area is divided into 18 districts, 15 towns (including 7 - of regional subordination), 20 towns and 1,500 villages.
• A brief description of: a large part of the Sumy region is in the Dnieper-Donets lowlands, while its northern part is located in the Voronezh Massif. Mineral resources are represented by oil and natural gas (in Akhtyrka, Romenskaya and Lebedinskom areas), which focuses third hydrocarbon reserves in Ukraine. There are significant reserves of peat, as well as mineral and building materials, phosphorite, rock and potassium salts, gypsum.
• Climate: The climate is temperate-continental areas with relatively mild winters (average temperature in January is -7,6 º C) and relatively cool in summer (average temperature in July is +19 º C). Period with temperatures above +10 º C is 155-160 days. Average annual precipitation ranges from 510 to 588 mm, of which about 60% for the warm season. The average height of snow cover is 20-35 cm, while the adverse climatic events recorded drought, hot wind, hail, winds with speeds of more than 20 m / s, the fall and spring frost, ice, frost (temperatures below -20 º C, and the lowest recorded in the temperature is -37 º C) with no or little snow cover.
• Environmental situation: These days, hard to find the territory, which would not have touched upon environmental concerns. Yet at Ñóìùèíå able to maintain harmony between man and nature. In some cases, have been able to withdraw the threat of adverse environmental projects, sometimes managed to mitigate their ekodestruktivnuyu focus, often technological greening occurred in the operation of production facilities.
• Year of fundation: Sumy region was formed on Jan. 10, 1939, the regional center was founded in 1655 g
• The history of the area: the history of Sumy region, located at the northern Ukraine, is closely linked with neighboring Russia, which since ancient times have been merged with the X centuries the territory of the modern part of Sumy region - shared destiny. In IX of the Kievan Rus in the XI - XIII centuries - to the Chernihiv and Severski princedoms in the XIII - XIV centuries - under the authority of the Golden Horde, and in 60 years XIV century, the south-western part of it went to Lithuania. From XVII to XVIII Century area was part of Slobodskoy Ukraine. It was at this time, emerged or were developed many cities, including Sumi (founded as a fortress in 1655). Advantageous location at the crossroads of Russia and Ukraine was in Ñóìùèíà XVIII - XX centuries. one of the areas of intensive economic growth. Thanks to the construction of the railway Kharkiv - Vorozhba especially rapidly at the end of the XIX century evolved Sumy. In 1939, she finally became an independent administrative unit in Ukraine (since 1802 the central and western parts were part of the Chernihiv, Romni with the environment - in the Poltava Province, eastern part of modern Sumy region in 1797 to treat Slobodskoy Ukraine, and from 1835 - Kharkov province).
• Celebrities region: Peter Kalnyshevskogo, entrepreneurs and blagodeteli of the dynasties and Tereschenko Kharitonenko, composers and M. D. Bortniansky Berezovsky, Nikolai Shchepkin, Viktor Yushchenko
• Minority groups region: the structure is dominated by ethnic Ukrainians - 85,5% of the total population. The highest proportion of them in the south-eastern region. Russian constitute 13.3%, the largest number of Russians living in areas of the eastern region, bordering with Russia. The third-largest nationality in the Sumy region - Belarussians (0.5%). Among others the most numerous are the Jews (0.2%), Roma (0.1%) and others.
• Minerals region: the area is rich in non-metallic minerals: phosphorites, rock and potassium salts, sulfur, quartzite, chalk, gypsum, limestone, marl, sand glass, refractory and refractory clays, mineral paints, building sand and stone.
• Key areas of production and the national economy region: feature industry Sumy region, unlike many other regions of Ukraine, is the focus of enterprises to produce the final product, proportionate development of all major industries, the established tradition of export activities. Over the past decade there has been a marked change in the sectoral structure of industry, related primarily to the market laws of supply and demand, changes in price relationships and purchasing power. Leading to production are the four major industries: machine building and metalworking, fuel, food, chemical and petrochemical industry, which accounted for over 90% of the total industrial output. Mechanical engineering and metalworking and in market transformation is the leading industry area. It provides jobs to over 60 thousand people - nearly half of all workers in the industry.
Attractions and tourist routes
The peculiarity of what this area is allocated to the other: Today Ñóìùèíà conserve natural-resource potential of the development of environmentally-oriented industries. The unique natural landscapes Sumy region, coupled with extremely rich history of these places provide excellent conditions for developing eco-tourism and recreation industry. The presence of landscape and recreational resources allow to rest in the area throughout the year about 5 million people.
Natural Attractions wing: the Ñóìùèíå is one of the four branches of Ukrainian steppe nature reserve - Mikhailovskaya virgin. This smallest area (2,024 km2) of the branch represents the only remaining area in the Ukraine steppe tseliny with typical meadow-steppe vegetation and fauna, is located in a natural forest area. Reserve justifies its name - its land is not raspahivalis more than a half centuries.
In the northern region (along the border with the Russian Federation) is one of the youngest in the country - Starogutsko-Desnyansky National Park, founded in 1999 on an area of 162.15 km2. According to environmental conditions and to justify its name, the area of the park is divided into two parts.
Places of man: The most famous temples of the region to keep (other than the city of Sumy) in the town of Voronezh (Mikhailovskaya church and bell tower, built in 1776-81 of the architect I. Grigorovich-Barskim), the village Gamaleevka (Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin, in 1735 - a monumental Pearl Harlampievskogo monastery who patronized, and where he was buried Ukrainian hetman I. Skoropadsky); city Putivl (accommodation facilities Molchanskogo monastery, located on the top of the hill priseymskogo - The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin, Transfiguration Cathedral, Cross nadvratnaya church bell tower and others, XVI - XIX century).
Description of the main tourist routes: the three most important miracle Sumy region - Sofronievsky complex in Putivlskom area round the yard, and a monument in Trostyantse mammoth in Nedrigaylovskom area. In addition to three names of the seven wonders of the Sumy region hit Scythian burial mound «Older burial» in Romenskaya area Konotop field of battle, the three-Anastasevskaya church in Glukhova and Svyatogorsky Cathedral Okhtirka. All seven wonders included in the tourist routes, which travel agents have recently been developed in conjunction with the Office of Culture and Tourism, Regional Administration, public organizations and representatives of local authorities.
Major museums and public places: the Sumy Regional Museum, with branches in Putivl and Okhtirka, Sumy Art Museum with a branch in Lebedin, local history museums in Romni and Konotop; Regional Music and Drama Theater. MS Schepkin in Sumy
favorite and most used product is lard in obzharennom form, the so-called cracklings, and as a spice and fat the basis of the most diverse dishes. Widely used cereals (millet, buckwheat, tykvennuyu), dumplings stuffed with a cottage cheese, potatoes, stewed cabbage, in the summer - from the berries. Also popular stew with potatoes, Ukrainian bitki, nashpigovannye garlic and fat, roasted ham, stewed cabbage and lard, krucheniki.
Features: Sumy region famous for its porcelain manufactured in Sumy farfornom plant ». Also very popular in Ukraine enjoy the cheese produced in g.Shostka, Glukhov and Romni.
Must Buy: Porcelain
Consulate of the Russian Federation